Friday, September 03, 2010

Gary War, The New Lines, and Flight!

What do these three bands have in common? I've been listening to them non-stop for a few weeks now. Helplessly. Also they're kinda obscure-ish. But am I listening to them BECAUSE they're obscure? I don't know. I'm self-aware enough to know if I'm being a tool, I think (just take my word for it) so probably not. So because I'm listening to these three bands all the time that I love, but they're obscure, it leads me to the conclusion that the internet has magically found me (at least) three bands that appeal to me in a very niche way. Sort of like the G-spot is hard to find but if you get a thousand tries you eventually find it (wait, nobody else has that problem? I AM A TERRIBLE LOVER). Overexposure = good.

Gary War (cover(?) of upcoming EP Police Water above.) JUST LISTEN TO BORN OF LIGHT ALREADY. Very excited about November whenever/etc/whatever when it comes out via Sacred Bones. I really don't have anything to say about Gary War other than "psychedelic insane genius" and don't expect me to go into why I love this sound beyond reason. I know this is a "blog" for "writing" but really. Swirly synths, punchy tempo, hacked up vocals tearing through the songs like a chainsaw and it ALL WORKS. ah. Buy all of his albums and singles and stuff. The MP3 is from internet blog of note Gorilla vs. Bear (more Gary War posts, GVB). Also, watch this Viva Radio video of a song from his '09 Horribles Parade album:



Flight. They / him (whatever) is a loud crazy band from Mississippi that rocks my socks. Style over content wins the day here but hey, who cares? If you're going to rock, do it in STYLE or STYLE BEFORE COMFORT etc. You know what I'm getting at. Give Ghosts a try @ Weekly Tape Deck. If you buy the single, Crackerjack Woman is one of the best b-sides (ever).

The New Lines. Brooklyn band that writes great pop tunes, ah! I see them as an early Broadcast in technicals, Belle and Sebastian in feel, and with a sort of charmingly unguarded simplicity of sound that feels very unique to me. Other things that get me: lots of repeated phrases, interesting time signatures, and overlapping melodies mixed with vocals that hover above in their own world. It's interesting stuff. Admittedly, I've been limited to their myspace tracks and last.fm songs, but luckily they've come out with a Beko single (GOD I love Beko. even when it's bad it's good.) Love it. 'Kings Civil Calendar Control' & 'Windimir And The Gift Of Death' are two songs that encapsulate everything great about them (though they are more polished than the other stuff you find floating around). Download their Beko single here.

Anyway, enough about the stuff I love and can't get enough of. The earnestness of this blogpost is DISGUSTING.

No comments:

Post a Comment