Saturday, February 23, 2013

Recent arrivals.

As some of you may know, I'm into vinyl.  It takes a lot for me to say no, if at all.  But I thought I would share some recent purchases, I'll only discuss particular highlights, and merely mention others without discussion.

I haven't bought all that much this month, however a definite highlight has been Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds' 'Push The Sky Away'.



This is much more delicate compared to Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! from '08, which for me was more of a Grinderman record.  The compositions feel personal, and it never tires.  Particularly 'Jubilee Street' and the title track which closes the album.  Warren Ellis, in particular, is superb on this record, excluding Cave himself, he pretty much drives the tracks on violin.  All in all, this is very much a solid record.  However, if you've never been convinced by their works before, this will unlikely change your mind, but I guess that's expected from a band who've been in existence for about thirty years now.

Next up is EOD's (Stian Gjevik) 'Volume 1'.



This is his first release on Rephlex (that label that is co-owned by some guy called RDJ), and it's fantastic.  I feel like the label itself has been a bit of a ghost label for the past couple of years, but hopefully with this release, things are starting to turn around again.  This was released both as a 12" and CD, the former has three exclusive tracks (out of six) which means you're missing out on seven from the CD version. Word of advice, don't miss out, it's well worth investing in both.  He brings a whole new recipe to Acid/Techno/IDM (ugh) and keeps it fresh.  There's no abundance of artists in this genre, sometimes it can become quite tedious because there are very few distinctions to make between different artists (mostly because they use same the equipment).  However, Stian has managed to keep things interesting, it's much smoother than most Rephlex releases, and therefore, probably much more accessible, but that doesn't mean there's no depth.  I've been listening to his releases constantly for the past few months, and I still return for more each day.  I strongly recommend checking out his other 12" releases, particularly 'Questionmarks' and 'Utrecht', especially the latter, that's awesome.  In fact, you can check out these tracks at his bandcamp along with several other digital releases and an alias of his CN.

Here are some other records I picked up this month:

Atoms for Peace - Amok
Four Tet - 0181
Grinderman - Grinderman
Grinderman - Grinderman 2
KH - The Track I've Been Playing That People Keep Asking About And That Joy Used In His RA Mix And Daphni Played On Boiler Room
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!
Slowdive - Pygmalion
Stars of the Lid - The Ballasted Orchestra
Sunn O))) - Monoliths & Dimensions
Yo La Tengo - Fade

I'll probably publish other types of articles such as talking about rare records I own/want, and artists that I love.  In the meantime, I hope you enjoyed this at the very least.  

-Gregor

No comments:

Post a Comment